Skip to main content

Total Pageviews

Unusual lessons from college

“I've learned one thing, and that's to quit worrying about stupid things. You have four years to be irresponsible here, relax. Work is for people with jobs. You'll never remember class time, but you'll remember the time you wasted hanging out with your friends. So stay out late. Go out with your friends on a Tuesday when you have a paper due on Wednesday. Spend money you don't have. Drink 'til sunrise. The work never ends, but college does...”
― Tom Petty





I landed up in a course that I cursorily ticked on my college application. So finding B.A. (Hons) Business Economics (BBE) was pure destiny. Keeping this serendipity in perspective, I was so sure that this course would provide me the exact path I should be on. It somewhat did, but if I were to correctly say it, I'd say my journey gave me the answer where I wanted to be, and more importantly what I wanted to be.
My college offered me a plethora of opportunities that were nothing short of wonderful; which leads me to my unusual life lessons :



1. College is 20% studies, and 80% everything else.



Some people go to college and become even bigger idiots because they think it's great to have a degree.
But going to college has NOTHING to do with the degree. We are all in the same boat: We all study the same subjects. These classroom subjects do not define who you are or what you become unless you understand how these apply in real life. 
So for me, this '80% outside the classroom' spiraled around college societies, events, internships, and friendships. Thanks to my active participation in college societies and events I was fortunate enough to gain immense exposure and interact with the brightest minds of my college.

2.  Learning should be FUN



Luckily I have had a lot of enthusiastic professors. Who made me learn an important lesson: Learning is not boring. People are.
College would not be dull as long as the teachers are enthusiastic about what they're doing.
One of my teachers actually used to give us an option to not attend the class; She asked us to attend only if we were interested in the subject, and not care about the attendance. This was such a relaxing and fun environment for our class.  I never get it when the teachers believe they are the police. Teachers are supposed to teach not police.

3.  Experience is never a waste of time or money


I wrote another blog on this, at the end of my first year; you may check this as well. (Experience - a freshers diary)

People often regret choosing the wrong degree, not getting into the college of their dreams, or sometimes you feel you've wasted your education time and money that you haven't pursued a career in. But how else do you expect to know yourself? Everything in life that you do is an experiment.
If some things do not work out, just try 146 other things. As long as you don’t give up it’s all good. Always remember- 
Experience is what you get when you don’t get what you wanted.

4. People you spend time with will shape your journey


You are a sum total of five people you spend the most time with.
Trust your vibes when it comes to people, find a few friends you can hang out with and who will have your back when it is required. One thing you’ll learn is that, in a way, we’re all the same — and yet, we’re so different. 
My friends were the reason I can look back at some great memories; one of which, and trust me the most important one is sitting together and doing nothing. You don't get that in life once you graduate. 
Though realistically friends might or might not stick after college, all you can do is enjoy it all; while you have that.

5. Finishing something Is HARD, it is all about the journey


In college, you learn that finishing something is hard—it takes real blood, sweat, and tears.
But you know what? 
Once you finish something that you started, you’ll be proud of yourself.

Everyone who knows me knows exactly what I am going to talk about, Ya ya talking about TEDx again. But it did take me everything to make my passion for something come into action, and turning the page was difficult. (If you know, you know)


"I believe, when you enter college, you leave behind your entire personality back in school. It's a fresh start. A new page. A new leaf. And you are the sole author. Yes, at times it may feel things aren't falling in place, you're losing your grip, but just hold on tight. To quote Tracy McMillan, Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out yet, then it's not the end." - Jyotbir 


Special Mentions:

1. I joined Invictus (The film and Photography Society) where I learned that societies are not about CV points, but a social circle beyond the classroom. Some people here were, and always will be close to my heart; starting from the first person I met- Milan to the coolest person I know- Muskaan. 

2. ASBEMS was also a three-year-long journey for me, where I got the opportunity to represent the department as President. This team every year taught me what Unity meant. We stood for our department and each other, laughing and enjoying till the very last. Special thanks to Dhruv(best), Samyak, Navneet, Shaurya, Deshna, Shreyans, and Shivam for all the memories. 

3. I do intend to write a separate post for TEDx, that is why I am not writing so many details here. The life lesson from TEDx was having friends by your side; they will understand you and have your back every time. And “You can’t jump straight to the end, the journey is the best part.” 



Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

F-It list

 I have realized that I have always been an “I want to do it all,” kinda person. But there are moments when I don't want to hustle; instead, I want to lie the fuck down. Take it from someone who has consumed chamomile tea, tried meditation, and booked me-time in the calendar in an attempt of being her 'best self'. Balance isn't found at the bottom of a pricey tea or as the conclusion of a yoga lesson. Instead, it's a state of mind. And something that has really been working for me is - ' A Fuck-It list' We spend a lot of time checking things off our to-do lists, creating aspirational Pinterest boards, and pondering our next big goal, dream, or plan. Then we wonder why we've burned out. Answer honestly- How much time and effort do you put into stuff that doesn't really matter? Or activities that you think you "should" do rather than those that you really want to do? STEPS TO MAKE A FUCK-IT LIST -   Make a mental or physical list of all the t

Unfinished

We were friends before the story actually starts. We met in college. I told him stories of my awful ex-boyfriend, and he indulged in my fantasies of murder. We would sit in his car, talking about how easy it would be to sneak poisonous leaves into their burgers. He told me about his school life; the obsession with movies and shows. And all this seemed impressive to the girl with no friends. Our friendship took years to turn romantic, but it did. He was fun and wild, and he really seemed to get me. He made me feel special, like a femme fatale, like I was in a movie. We had a lovely start - all intense connection and creative collaboration. For the first time, I felt heard and seen. He made me feel safe and special. An intoxicating combination.  It was different right away. I didn't want to date him, I wanted to be his partner. I wanted to skip all the awkward dating (we did) and arrive at the comfortable, compatible thing, always things. I had found my guy. Part of this was fueled b

That one time I was a meme

People never spell my name correctly and it gets screwed up a lot. If I had a dollar for everytime someone wrote ' Riya' as 'Ria' , I'd be retired and enjoying my life. I had 14 certificates changed in school because they always wrote 'Ria ' or ' Rhea' on them. That error has happened so frequently, there came a point where I just stopped pointing it out to people, at least in messages. It's a bigger disappointment when a guy is trying to flirt, and he writes the wrong spelling of your name. I mean I don't expect you to do any favourite colour/flowers homework but the name is basics duh-uh. Nevertheless, the day came Suddenly everybody knew the right spelling of my name because everyone who knew me and some who didn't, were tagging me in the #riyamemes. Well, I don't know about Sajid but my friends were super happy because they now had a new excuse to make fun of me. I had so much unwanted attention on every social me