Skip to main content

Total Pageviews

7 Things I'd tell my 18 year old self

1. Maintain a healthy lifestyle

Health issues, even minor ones, can interfere with other aspects of your life or even overshadow them. Your wellbeing and stress levels are influenced even by relatively mild health conditions such as aches, pains, lethargy, and indigestion. Making a commitment to healthy behavior is one way to boost your ability to deal with stress and feel better.

2. Spend money on experiences, not things

Things have a shelf life. Experiences live forever in your memory. This is one of the things you're not going to find out until you've spent a lot of money on stuff. Go on trips, meals with friends, and the kinds of stuff that leave you with plenty of memories that can contribute to a meaningful life, but no excess baggage.


3. Never give up on something you can’t go a day without thinking about.

If you are passionate about something, you’ll be thinking about it every day, maybe every minute. So, stick with it if you're lucky enough to have discovered your passion. I'm a strong believer that everything happens for a reason and trust me, your passion is yours.
Are you constantly thinking about helping others? Superb, you're going to change the world. The things you ponder about on a regular basis are more important in your life, whether it's short-term (ex. dancing) or long-term commitment (ex. your partner). 
What I'm trying to say here, is that we all have that one thing; the thing that makes our heart beat a little faster, and our smile a little brighter. It can be difficult to hang on to this with the way the world is. But you won't be stalling yourself from reaching your goals and aspirations if you devote your time and energy to what you enjoy the most.


4. Don’t worry too much

"A person on their death bed will tell you their three regrets are: having worked too much, not having loved enough, and not having the courage to express their feelings."

Your natural inclination is to be worried about everything. You fixate, obsess and let things overtake you every single time something goes wrong. The worst-case scenario never occurs in certain situations. But it's almost as though it happens over and over because you spend too much time reflecting on it. Don’t forget that something bad always seems to lead to something good. Remember the things that matter more in life. 

5. Things are going to turn out better than you expected.

“You can’t design your life like a building. It doesn’t work that way. You just have to live it, and it will design itself. Listen to what the world is telling you to do and take the leap.” — Lily Aldrin (Himym - The Leap)

If you set out on a road trip and encounter rugged terrain early in the journey, you might conceive the entire trip would be difficult. However, once the destination is reached, you appreciate the journey in its entirety replete with the highs and lows.

6. End Relationships you don’t want to be in

I'm not sure why people hold on to toxic people. But in relationships that people never wanted in the first place, they tend to linger for too long. It hurts to put an end to them but the fact is that staying in those relationships is selfish. The only way one can understand this is by experience, I suppose.

7. Write a journal

Writing down your thoughts and feelings helps to get them out of your spinning, busy mind so that you can objectively see them. It will help you see similarities that you have not seen before, determine the relevance of possibilities, and clarify priorities.
I wish to write a detailed blog on this soon, till then sharing this wonderful journal my sister gave me this year on my birthday. 






Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Comments

Anonymous said…
Nice thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

F-It list

 I have realized that I have always been an “I want to do it all,” kinda person. But there are moments when I don't want to hustle; instead, I want to lie the fuck down. Take it from someone who has consumed chamomile tea, tried meditation, and booked me-time in the calendar in an attempt of being her 'best self'. Balance isn't found at the bottom of a pricey tea or as the conclusion of a yoga lesson. Instead, it's a state of mind. And something that has really been working for me is - ' A Fuck-It list' We spend a lot of time checking things off our to-do lists, creating aspirational Pinterest boards, and pondering our next big goal, dream, or plan. Then we wonder why we've burned out. Answer honestly- How much time and effort do you put into stuff that doesn't really matter? Or activities that you think you "should" do rather than those that you really want to do? STEPS TO MAKE A FUCK-IT LIST -   Make a mental or physical list of all the t

Unfinished

We were friends before the story actually starts. We met in college. I told him stories of my awful ex-boyfriend, and he indulged in my fantasies of murder. We would sit in his car, talking about how easy it would be to sneak poisonous leaves into their burgers. He told me about his school life; the obsession with movies and shows. And all this seemed impressive to the girl with no friends. Our friendship took years to turn romantic, but it did. He was fun and wild, and he really seemed to get me. He made me feel special, like a femme fatale, like I was in a movie. We had a lovely start - all intense connection and creative collaboration. For the first time, I felt heard and seen. He made me feel safe and special. An intoxicating combination.  It was different right away. I didn't want to date him, I wanted to be his partner. I wanted to skip all the awkward dating (we did) and arrive at the comfortable, compatible thing, always things. I had found my guy. Part of this was fueled b

That one time I was a meme

People never spell my name correctly and it gets screwed up a lot. If I had a dollar for everytime someone wrote ' Riya' as 'Ria' , I'd be retired and enjoying my life. I had 14 certificates changed in school because they always wrote 'Ria ' or ' Rhea' on them. That error has happened so frequently, there came a point where I just stopped pointing it out to people, at least in messages. It's a bigger disappointment when a guy is trying to flirt, and he writes the wrong spelling of your name. I mean I don't expect you to do any favourite colour/flowers homework but the name is basics duh-uh. Nevertheless, the day came Suddenly everybody knew the right spelling of my name because everyone who knew me and some who didn't, were tagging me in the #riyamemes. Well, I don't know about Sajid but my friends were super happy because they now had a new excuse to make fun of me. I had so much unwanted attention on every social me